The EANS Training Committee, whose current Chair is Professor Karl Schaller, the Events Co-ordinator and the Executive Director are responsible for arranging the European Training Courses in Neurosurgery.
What it is:
4 annual 4-day courses covering the key topics of:
- Vascular Neurosurgery
- Head Injury/Functional and
- Spine/Peripheral Nerves
History: Founded in the 1970s by Professors Brihaye, Pia and Vigoroux, the courses aim to serve the needs of neurosurgical trainees in the latter half of their training in neurosurgery.
The excellence of the courses and their scientific and social value is acknowledged throughout the neurosurgical community, and the current committee would like to acknowledge the tremendous part played by the founders, past chairmen of the Training Committee and previous Executive Administrator, Stephanie Garfield-Birkbeck, in bringing this about.
- in order to obtain optimum benefit from the courses, we recommend that new candidates be in their third or fourth year of specialist training
- as of May 2017 there will be 3 course cycles, a summer and a winter cycle of 230 participants, and a spring cycle of 180 participants.
- once accepted for one course cycle, it is not possible to switch to another.
- applicants who are successful are automatically admitted for the full 4 years and must attend 4 consecutive courses within their cycle
- any exceptions to this are at the discretion of the chair of the Training Committee and Executive Director of the EANS
- there are strict arrangements for maternity and paternity leave
- applicants must have a high-level of English, both written and spoken
- all trainees must attend the course unaccompanied
- places on the courses are allocated once a year
- there is only a very limited number of single rooms for participants accommodation allocated strictly on first come-first serve basis on each course, vast majority of participants always stay in twin rooms sharing with another participant
APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 ARE NOW CLOSED (for European candidates)
1. Download: Application form 2017
2. Your completed application form should be returned to your national delegate to the EANS Training Committee and NOT to the EANS Secretariat.
3. Download details of national delegates to the EANS Training Committee here.
NB: Applicants from the United Kingdom are required to fill in an additional form available here.
**APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR CANDIDATES INSIDE EANS EUROPE: 30th SEPTEMBER 2016**
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: From May 2017, 15 places will be available on this newly-created Spring Cycle for trainees from outside the EANS member countries.
Application process for international applicants:
1. Please download and complete the "Application form 2017" as per step #1 above.
2. Prepare a 1-page CV.
3. Send the completed application form and the 1-page CV to Visi Navarro: firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 January 2017. **THIS DEADLINE IS FOR APPLICANTS OUTSIDE EANS EUROPE ONLY**
THE EUROPEAN EXAM
The European Exam is compulsory for all fourth-year trainees (unless they have already passed it). It is taken at the training course site the day before the start of the fourth training course.
Topics and Venues for the European Training Courses in Neurosurgery
|Cycle 1||Cycle 2|
|2 - 5 October 2016||Spine/Peripheral Nerve
||7 - 10 February 2016
|1 - 4 September 2017||Vascular||Sevilla, Spain||22 - 25 January 2017||Head Injury/Functional
||TBC||TBC 2018||Spine/Peripheral Nerve
|7 - 10 May 2017
|May 2018 - dates
|May 2019 - dates